Continuing the innovation on providing effective Data Management Solution, SAP is releasing the next generation of its Data Management Platform SAP HANA 2. SAP announced about HANA 2 platform back in November 2016 and in April 2017, released SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 01. In this blog we will discuss about SAP HANA 2 and what’s new in SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 01.
About SAP HANA 2.0
SAP HANA 2 comprises of Database and data management technology, analytics and business intelligence, useful application development tools on a single in-memory platform and thus frees up valuable resources and human capital to meet your business’s strategic objectives. It is a new generation of popular SAP HANA and designed specifically for companies embracing Digital Transformation in mind.
What’s new in SAP HANA 2.0 SPS 01
- Multi-Tent Database Containers or MDC as the default installation. They have choice to operate as a single database as well.
- Support of system replication across all storage tiers.
- Performance Optimization to enhance HA/DR strategies.
- Dynamic Tiering – Co-locating in-memory store and extended store on the same host.
- New native Dynamic Data Masking for additional protection.
- Expanded Workload management and analysis.
Data Management Enhancements
- Real-time Data Access through Apache Impala – Cloudera, PostgreSQL, Apache Camel JDBC, a generic JDBC adapter, and an enhanced file adapter.
- SAP HANA Spark Controller – combining live transactional data with big data in cloud, transparent access to SAP Cloud Platform Big Data Services/Altiscale.
- Smart Data Access (SDA) – eases the configuration and control of data federation including the addition of a linked database feature that eliminates the need to manually creating virtual tables for SAP HANA to SAP HANA scenarios.
- New JSON document – store insights of structured and semi-structured data within the same database.
- More machine learning through additional machine learning algorithms.
- Performance Optimization for Scoring large data volumes for real-time model scoring.
- Enhanced Sentiment Analysis report in Arabic and Portuguese.
- Spatial data types for search and expanded graph support continue to drive forward the depth and breadth of insights you can achieve with SAP HANA.
Application Development Tools Enhancements
- Intuitive interface for App Development.
- Support for Fiori Launch Pad in SAP HANA Extended Application Services.
- Advanced (XSA) – Additional troubleshooting and compliance features.
- A new central persistence object for Data Warehouse (DW) use cases.
- Expanded SQL/SQL Script to simplify development and expand use cases..
Upgrade from HANA 1 to HANA 2
- Customers using SPS 10 and above can upgrade to HANA 2.0 straightforward.
- Customers using older support stacks first need to upgrade to SPS 12 and then upgrade to HANA 2.0 SPS 01.
Cloud Environment for SAP HANA 2.0
There will be an upgrade of existing SAP HANA offers in the cloud. Currently, SAP HANA is available in the private cloud with SAP HANA Enterprise Cloud and in the public cloud via Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure. Access to the cloud is also possible via SAP HANA One Service on the AWS Marketplace and the SAP HANA Cloud Platform. This will continue to be the case for SAP HANA 2.
SAP HANA 2.0 Express Edition
The express edition is a starter pack that was developed for SAP HANA 2 to enable free usage of all the new functionalities shortly after the SAP HANA 2 launch. Express edition makes it easier for application developers and other interested parties to develop and deploy applications for test purposes. It also offers an ideal entry into the world of the SAP in-memory database. Try SAP HANA – Express Edition (free of charge).
“SAP HANA 2 represents a continuation of technology innovation by SAP, designed to enable organizations to address the fast-changing aspects of digital business,” said Carl Olofson, Research Vice President, IDC.