Why We Love API-Led Connectivity (And You Should, Too!)
The first thing which comes to mind is what is an API? Well, API stands for Application Programming Interface and is a set of functions and procedures that allow the creation of applications which access the features and data of an operating system, application, or other services.
In this modern era of digital transformation, API’s are no longer considered just to be the technical interface on top of a database. Nowadays, API-led connectivity is the new way to communicate with customers and partners through API, for e.g, Uber uses Google Map API to calculate the distance between two points. So, it can be said that APIs are the new age business model and thus, one has to take proper care while designing the API based on the business criteria.
The Need for API-led Connectivity
The technologies that enterprises are using to engage with customers or partners are evolving day by day and the role of API-led connectivity seems to be an indispensable integration strategy. Technologies like IoT, SaaS, Cloud technologies and APIs are providing more powerful tools to bring the best out of business like generating more revenue, understanding the customer better, etc. So, in order to do so more powerfully, APIs are needed. Traditionally, these integrations have done using point-to-point(P2P) connections, but those had many limitations. The P2P approach was designed to access fewer endpoints to meet the business needs and also the delivery time was not a factor.
Advantages of 3 Layer API
- System Layer: This is the foundation layer of the three-layer architecture. These usually access the core systems of record and insulates the user from the complexity or any changes in the subsequent layer. A system API for customer domain can contain resources with methods like GET, POST, PUT and DELETE and the related schemas XML, JSON and responses 200,400,401,500 etc.
- Process Layer: These API interact with and shape data within a single system or across systems and is created here without any dependence neither on source system (i.e., from where data originates) nor on target system(i.e., through which the data is to be delivered). The process APIs should be held privately and should not be revealed to the public.
- Experience Layer: Data can be reconfigured easily in this layer according to specific needs. Unnecessary methods can be removed and necessary methods can be exposed in a simple way.
Benefits of API-led Connectivity
- Transition to Cloud: The emergence of the cloud has led many enterprises to opt for cloud infrastructure but the transition is not always easy with legacy systems. API-led connectivity does the job hassle free and helps to innovate faster.
- Global Presence: Business growth demands expansion to new markets and with API-led connectivity data and infrastructure can be easily unlocked to accommodate necessary systems.
- Scalable: API-led connectivity ensures API reusability and microservices enabling both quicker application development and integrate existing systems.
- Real-Time: One of the crucial factors of business growth is to respond to customer inquiries faster and API-led connectivity does that effortlessly, providing real-time information about prospective customers.
- Bi-modal IT with agility: The API-led connectivity ensures stability and control on the core system of records, and at the same time, allows rapid innovation and iteration of application that access those systems.
- Unified Connectivity: Complete stack of blocks on one platform connectivity, services and APIs.
- High Productivity: Ability to experience with new initiatives quickly without any system level discrepancies.
- Platform for the Business: Cross API connectivity thus allowing business to become self-sufficient.
- Hybrid: Easy transition to cloud and ensures code reusability.
- Better Estimation: Ensures right estimation against any changes in code.
Now, you can easily Integrate your ERP, CRM, Ecommerce Store, Marketplaces, Shipping and POS Systems under one platform to automate the business process!