How to Avoid Challenges in NetSuite Integration
NetSuite is highly popular among the enterprise customers for its accounting, financial and ERP toolkit. Even though it a has fully functional CRM module, in terms of functionality many customers wish to go for applications like Salesforce, Zoho, Pipedrive etc. for CRM and Magento, Shopify, BigCommerce etc. for e-Commerce.
Successful NetSuite integrations demand some careful thought up front not just to save the potential pitfalls but also to make the most of this solid solution to best advantage in the long term.
Different Integration Methods Followed by Different Organizations:
- SuiteTalk API makes it possible for developers to complete NetSuite integration with any application with exposed APIs even when there is a complex business requirement. The SuiteTalk API exposes web service of the NetSuite. This approach is not very useful for the companies as they require to have in-house NetSuite experts. Executing such a project can be a very expensive and never-ending process.
- Some of the organizations also try building a custom adapter which would make the applications speak to each other. This approach is often time-consuming as it requires a lot of scripting. It also can run into unwarranted issues, as the integration requirements are often dynamic in nature and require a lot of iterations to build a solution that is fully functional.
- The most popular approach to integrate NetSuite is by third party integration providers. This way is one of the most convenient, economical and scalable. Integration by the third-party vendor allows organizations to independently designed applications to work together thus, enhancing the business process automation.
- While NetSuite offers an API, integration might not be the proficiency of the organization. Mistakes here can be costly if they affect important client or financial information.
- The platforms are ever updating in terms of how APIs may change over time – Which may break the NetSuite workflows.
- If the integration is between web and mobile app it is desirable for API transformation service to turn the NetSuite SOAP API into a more developer & web friendly REST interface.
The bottom line is that if the organization doesn’t have a good understanding of the end goal, significant experience in business process improvement, as well as a good understanding of the ins and outs of SaaS and Java development, integration can be extremely troublesome. To avoid issues, businesses that don’t have significant experience in these areas should use a supported API or work with a development partner rather than attempting to go it alone.
- Start with a strong design
A major requirement for successful integration is resisting the pressure of cash and time crunch and instead of taking the time to think through your project from the start. This early prep work can help identify problem areas and potential issues, as well as make it easier to set milestones and assign tasks. Although it might look like a futile process upfront but can prevent an extensive manual effort to dig up and correct errors later. We suggest at least 3 months of research work for the design.
- Think about Data Mapping
Identifying how data will flow to and from each application in a way that prevents overwrites and duplication is very important. Integrations can involve CRM and lead data from Salesforce say, to order fulfillment details from Magento. Will the integration be bidirectional, with information being both extracted and pushed between two systems? In that case, which applications will have ultimate ownership over which fields? A planned data mapping can help make sure that everything works together to accurately update records and maintain validation rules instead of compromising data.
- Utilize NetSuite
NetSuite has capabilities and looking for ways to keep refining the integration process. Built-in features such as external ID can help to easily import large datasets and prevent duplicates, while notification tools can help report and correct any errors that do creep in.
- Know your Limits:
Understand the quantum of data and file sizes which might impact design – Many 3rd party vendors keep a check on how much volume their API can handle or have a file size restriction similar to the NetSuite that has a 5mb file size limitation for SuiteScripting. Certain vendors can only handle a single transaction per file. It’s important to understand these restrictions and incorporate into your flow design early.
- Process Orchestration
Sequential and conditional execution of workflows is one of the most important steps to achieve the desired integration results. Thus, a detailed Scoping of the integration process becomes important.
Above all, to have an easier integration depends on three things, according to Hoekstra: the cleanliness of your original data, the complexity and business logic associated with the data, and the capability of the originating and destination data.
I don’t need to remind NetSuite is not a cheap solution and thus losing business valuable data because of a foresightless custom solution or an integration inexperienced solution provider can only mean throwing your hard-earned money down the drain.
Now, you can easily integrate your NetSuite ERP with Ecommerce store to automate the business process!
You may also like:
7 Mind-Blowing Reasons To Upgrade To NetSuite From Your Accounting Software
NetSuite 2017 Flashback – Building the Next-Generation ERP
Why Is Everyone Talking About NetSuite SuiteWorld 2018?