Layouts in Salesforce – All You Need To Know
In this article, you are going to learn about what are layouts in salesforce and their importance in an organization. In general, whatever you see when you log in to Salesforce is known as “Layout”. The layout is an arrangement of different parts or components to have a simple and clear view. Following are the different types of layouts which play an important role in an organization to view and access sObjects. They are:
- Page Layouts
- Mini Page Layouts
- Search Layouts
Page layout controls the layout of an object. It defines which fields the user can view and edit while entering the data in sObjects. It contains a different set of Fields, Buttons, Related Lists, Custom Links, Visual force pages on the objects record page. It is used to assign field accessibility.
- At the time of object creation, a default Page Layout is created with “Object Name” to view fields of the object.
- Page Layouts for sObjects can be accessed by the following path
1. Standard Object
Go to Setup-> Build-> Customize-> ObjectName-> Page Layouts
2. Custom Objects
Go to Setup-> Build-> Create-> Objects-> ObjectName-> Page Layouts
- New Page Layouts can be created with or without cloning the existing page layout. If the new layout is created without cloning, it will be created with mandatory fields in that object.
- It’s very important to view the data in a well-defined manner so that the user will not get the mess out of searching for a field. The following picture shows you a not well-defined page layout format.
- In the above picture, all the fields are displayed in a single column without any grouping fields. For example, consider Street, City, Zip Code, State and country fields which represent Address location. Hence, they can be grouped together as Address so that it will be easy to identify it.
The below picture is the reformation of above-mentioned page layout in a well-defined format using sections to have a clear-cut view.
Mini Page Layouts
Mini Page Layout is a layout defined from the existing “Page layout”. It is a subset of units existing in page layout. It is defined to show hover details when you mouse over a field on an object’s detail page or in the Recent Item section of the sidebar. Importance of mini page layout is to show you the minimum required information to get the idea of a record without going to the records detail page.
- Mini Page Layouts for sObjects can be accessed by the following path
1. Standard Object
Go to Setup-> Build-> Customize-> ObjectName-> Page Layouts-> Mini Page Layout in the drag-and-drop toolbox.
2. Custom Objects
Go to Setup-> Build-> Create-> Objects-> ObjectName-> Page Layouts-> Mini Page Layout in the drag-and-drop toolbox.
- The below picture shows you mini page layout with the minimum required details to get an overview of a record.
Search Layouts are used to show the fields of an object in various result lists. Efficient use of search layouts will increase productivity by displaying mostly used fields. Following are the different type of search layouts in salesforce.
Click on Edit Action to add or remove fields from layouts.
- Search Result: This layout is used to display the fields when a record is globally searched. Following are the fields displayed in the search result of “Test-A04” record.
- Lookup Dialogs: This layout is used to display the fields when a record is searched from lookup dialog. There is a lookup field for “Property” object in “Listing” object.
When you click on Property lookup field, the following layout has resulted in fields of the “Property” object.
- Lookup Phone Dialogs: This layout is used when you integrate Salesforce CRM Call Center with another Softphone.
- Object Tab: This search layout is used to show the fields on “Objects” home page for recently viewed, modified or created records.
- Object List View: It is used to control the buttons available for the list view of objects tab. You can select Standard and custom buttons to display on the List view.
- Search Filter Fields: These are used to further filter your search results when globally searched. Here I’m selecting “Type” filed as search filter field for Propert
Below picture shows you the Search filter field when a record is globally searched.
- Lookup Filter Fields: These are used to further filter your search results when searched from lookup dialog. Here I’m selecting “Type” filed as Lookup filter field for Property lookup dialog.
Below picture shows you the Lookup filter field when a record is searched from lookup dialog.
In this way, you can customize Layouts in Salesforce to increase the productivity of an organization.
Now, you can easily integrate your Salesforce CRM with the back-end ERP system to automate the business process!
You may also like:
How to Create Roll-Up Summary Fields in Salesforce
How to Create a Flow in Salesforce – Step by Step Guide
How to Create Reports and Dashboards in Salesforce
All About Recursive Trigger in Salesforce